Tuesday 7 November 2017

Aurora Borealis.

An aurora, sometimes referred to as polar lights, northern lights or southern lights, is a natural light display in the Earth's sky, predominantly seen in the high latitude regions. Wikipedia

We are very fortunate where we live in the North East of Scotland in frequent sightings of this phenomena.  The DP gets alerts as to when there are eruptions or activity on the sun which indicate a possible Aurora.  Today there was an aurora alert.  However the day was cloudy and it was daylight.  Then it got dark.  So the patio door was flung open and the camera, on tripod, set up.


And there it was.

I could see it with the naked eye.  Tis the green.  What we always hope to see is the lights dancing.



The DP standing in the field to the front of our house.

So - today.  I went for my hair to be re plummed, possible photo tomorrow.  I know I sat had it done, was cooked, and hair cut, washed, dried, and escaped.

Down the Prom.  Short walk.

A fishing boat.   

Surfers. 

One who actually surfed.




Then home to not do any painting as the sun set.


Nature wins again, as it should.


5 comments:

Hilary said...

I am hoping one day to get to Scotland. It looks amazing.

vic said...

Oh, what a beautiful photo---the last one of the rolls of hay and the sunset. The colors are just gorgeous the pinky gold of the sky with the lavender sheen on the tops of the hay. Just lovely.

BadPenny said...

Your last photo is stunning x

Sue in Suffolk said...

The sunset photo should win a prize.
I'd love to see the Northern lights - maybe one day

pat chester said...

You are lucky to be able to see the aurora etc. that is one of the things I want to see. A few weeks ago my son-in-law who is a night manager at a hotel, said he had seen some lights shifting in the sky at about 2am and I think that they must have been the northern lights.