Sunday 12 July 2015

Grass Widow..

The Dawn Patroller has gone to Sumatra with his sister.  She is an inveterate traveller but has run out of people to accompany her. Hence family pressure was applied.



 He and she up a Sumatran volcano.


Sumatran natives.



And the obligatory Yellow duck. (See previous posts for more information on yellow ducks.)  This one has a Saltire (Scottish) flag on its chest.  The DP forgot to take a yellow duck and bought this at Edinburgh Airport.  

They do not smile much in Sumatra do they?  Could be something to do with the strange British person carrying a yellow duck.

So I am alone apart from the two cats for two and a half weeks.

I have to say it has not been fun.  Feeding the garden birds I have had to use my inventive powers as to how to fill twenty feeders a day without collapsing.  Carrying three plastic jugs to and fro from garage storage to feeding stations was way too much.  I now have carrier bags in the kitchen for the top garden feeders and the same in the studio for the bottom garden feeders.  If I fill carrier bags they last two days and its one walk to feeders.  The ones on the fence I cannot reach so tough. Should you be interested to know why I cannot do more,  just do all your chores with a straw to breathe through.  You will soon get the idea of the challenge.

However I have taken full advantage of the DP's absence.  I have totally trimmed the book shelves.  Only of mine own books I hasten to add.



 Half way through.  14 carrier bags full gone at this stage.  Agatha Christie, lots of other crime writers, many classics I have read over and over again and will never read again.

All being collected by my favourite charity, New Arc, who rescue anything including wild life.  In turn we have taken from them the odd duck. Real feathered ones, not yellow plastic.

I will show you an after picture.  To be honest once the shelves are sorted you cannot tell that great swathes of books have gone.  But like the animals and birds from the New Arc I hope my books will be enjoyed by others via their charity shops.

One very interesting fact coming out of me being on my own for two and a half weeks is the offers of help I have had.  Dinner, drinks, lunch, bit of company......all offers from the males of the human species.  Presumably I still have some allure?! 

So 6p.m. door locked,  jamas on and endless repeats of Midsomer Murders - I am fine. 

3 comments:

BadPenny said...

Do take it easy Jill. Glad to hear you have invitations, so often it's the men invited out while alone.
When we lived in Spain, a couple quite happily scoffed food at our BBQ's and never once invited us round until I was in the UK visiting my mum & they invited husband to a BBQ.

I only have two bird feeders & one table but the birds do scoff ( almost as much as that couple ! ) xx

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sumatra! I didn't expect that. I'm so glad that you have had many offers of help, and glad that you are fine. And of course, alluring - there was never any doubt of that.

Mum said...

I hope you are taking up the offers! Just as a respite from Midsomer Murders, of course. Take care and make sure you ring somebody up every day.
xx